[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
SkylanderClub.com • View topic - Skylanders Update: No Console Game in 2017, More Imaginators

Skylanders Update: No Console Game in 2017, More Imaginators

Post the latest Skylanders News

Skylanders Update: No Console Game in 2017, More Imaginators

Postby 1ofWiisdom » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:36 am

Blogged:
Channel Update: 6 Year Anniversary, 9,000 Subscribers, and the Future of Skylanders!

That's right...today's quarterly report conference call from Activision led to a sad reality for us Portal Masters. We will not be getting a new, stand-alone console installment in the series this year.

However, there is some room for relief as they plan to expand on Imaginators with "multiple adventure packs, new characters and new in-game content." which sounds pretty great. There was also mention of a new mobile game being in development, but the real gem here is for the continuation of Imaginators. Now, whether that is limited to what we know about (Wild Storm + Cursed Tiki Temple Adventure Pack and Ro-Bow + AP) along with the remaining Sensei characters, or really refers to new characters (Chef Pepper Jack, Broccoli Guy, Cali, Flynn, etc.) will remain the subject of speculation.

My best hopes is that we get great additions to Imaginators while TFB is developing Skylanders 7 behind the scenes and gearing up for a killer comeback in 2018.

And I won't lie...I also think my "Online Battle Mode" with Single Player vs CPU options is an ideal intermediary if the development process takes longer, or needs more than a 2 year cycle.

Lots of people are doom and gloom about no future at all, some are giddy about possible AP and character additions, and others are simply taking things in with an open mind.

I go over my thoughts in my most recent channel update linked above...let me know your thoughts!
1ofWiisdom: Portal Master, Minecrafter, Nintendo Junkie
YouTube:
Twitch:
Twitter:
Minelogix SMP:
1ofWiisdom
SkylanderClub Level 1

Re: Skylanders Update: No Console Game in 2017, More Imagina

Postby Omenix » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:38 pm

I haven't watched your video yet, but I'll post my completely uninfluenced thoughts.

My first thought was this is exaxtly what happened to Disney Infinity. No game 2016, then never again 2017. But. Then I thought of Lego Dimensions. No new game each year, just level packs and new characters. And I like that system. While it's a tad expensive, it's a good system for the consumer, who can't be dropping $100 (or for LD $170 )every year. I'd be quite happy to see the series split into a 2 year system of new fames rather than annual release. Less bugs, more refined, better character development, good news all round. And even if it is "Doom and gloom" for the series, which I'm really hoping it's not, at least we had 6 really good games which we can go back and play any time we want. The series is only done when we stop playing.

Now in terms of "multiple adventure packs, new charactetd and new in-game content " I'm really hoping this means the glorious return of the mighty Dream Catcher, who, having no hands, took an extra year to sort out her share if the books in the academy. Just saying, there's a chance and I want it oh so bad. Please Activision, make it happen.
Check out my YouTube channel where I play Minecraft, Clash Royale and unbox Pokemon merchandise. [url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOVpJAKaiT0NoHKM4kz6xA[url]

"I am the Chompy Mage and you are not a Chompy, so I do not like you"
Omenix
Skylands Master

Postby Plaag » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Would love to see Skylanders continue. The announcement I take some what on the pessimistic side of things and think we'll get just what remains for Imaginators. They have characters for release through April/May but beyond that I really don't think much else will come about. If they do continue with say an Adventure Pack like release every 2-3 months or so, it better be physical and not a paid for digital release. Oh and not store specific.

Just some things I'd like: I'd be happy with a port of the 1st 2 games to newer consoles. Port the 3ds games to consoles, just something to make use of what we have and not be to much investment to take away from another full blown Skylanders game.

ShaneG.
Plaag
Chompy

Postby Orion's Islands » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:51 am

No NEW Console game for 2017....hmmmm.

Not the worst news...not great but.....
It seems to me, it all comes down to them. (Activision, that is.)
If their statements about future releases (new APs, Characters, etc.) refer only to the upcoming releases we already know about...then I call "LAME!"
The new AP's I'll let them slide on. Yes we know officially about one and now, unofficially, about a second-The Row Bow one. They are "new" in that they were not revealed as originally being part of the game and have been added on. I WILL be annoyed but not angered if these two are the only ones. I think there is plenty of space for more. (As a matter of fact, I kinda think Heartbreak Buckshot has been held back to be released next Valentine's Day with an expansion pack attached.---You heard it here first!!! That is my prediction!!!) But I do hope there are more.

I WILL be royally disappointed if "New Characters" refers only to finishing out the already advertised, presently unreleased, senseis. If they try to pull that one, I will be headshaking as I mutter,"stupid...stupid...insulting stupid". Don't try to pull a fast one, consumers are wayyy too savy for that now. It only hurts their long game to stretch the truth like that. Don't give me that its "technically" true...Its basic underhanded-ness. Be honest or, if you must, say nothing on the subject.
Now, if those New Characters ARE new characters....total originals or expanded known characters (NPC's like Cali, Flynn or Hugo or other Villian Crossovers-Luminous or Nightshade, for example)...then I would be delighted! One every two to three months would really eat up the time until a 2018 release well. I would appreciate the break it would give to my wallet and give them time to develop the next game well.

I also think Imaginators is an excellent title to take a break with. Its been @5-6 months since release. They have to fill about 18months of down time before a next release, if they stick to a fall release date that is. Imaginators is all about creating your own Skylanders, kids are doing the heavy lifting here for you. Keep them interested by keeping Creation Crystals stocked well (AND down to $5-7 max.), occasional character releases and occasional content expansions. They will stay with you.

The mobile game holds zero interest for me. I like Battlecast very much but barely have space for it on my mobile device. Additionally, the very nature of the operating systems (volatile and in constant flux) seem to make any entry here more flash in the pan than substance.

All in all: A break is not the worst thing. I don't think the franchise is over. I hope it continues fun and strong and believe without uncertainty that there is gobs of potential left with oodles of profitability left to inspire future and continued development.
I have had soo much fun and enjoyment with this series that I can't complain whatever the future holds. As for Doomsayers, I have no time for that type of thing and they MUST be destroyed! lol...in the game and in life soo...
Here's to the Future of Skylands. I'm gonna enjoy the ride and will keep enjoying the trip with all of you on SkylanderClub.com!!
(Still...I have to have a little fun with this at Kaos' expense...hee hee)

(I believe he still has at least 9 more plans to take over Skylands, as per his original estimate...lol)

As a side note:
I am curious if they have gotten so used to the profits from the toy merchandising side that they are no longer satisfied with standard profits from just a well released video game. I do understand development, physical production, shipping and shelving costs represent a sizable initial investment. If diminishing profits make that a risky investment, they have options to change the model, not just give up.
As to the toy lines, I think the world has gone so digital now that they could save costs by having all sales be online orders. They could ship physical toys from a single location and save alot on distribution etc. I wonder if the Build Your Own Imaginator backlog would encourage them that this type of ordering system is possible. Beyond that, they could offer the physical toys but also offer the characters as electronic downloads. They may not sell as many physical toys but they will still sell well in my mind.
Personally, I think their existing toy line could easily support several console releases. People crave content for their Skylander collections.
Skylanders: The Origins Series could easily be a series of games having mucho fun going on adventures resolving or exploring the Skylanders individual stories: Go with Roller Brawl to find her brothers, with Gill Grunt to chase his mermaid or help Boom Bloom lead her plant rebellion against Dr. Krankcase!!
Orion's Islands
Orion's Islands
Skylands Master

Postby Omenix » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:15 am

I love the idea of Skylanders:Origins. I always thought that it would be fun to further explore characters' backstories. Going solely online ordering would be bad for me because custom figures never came to Australia :(
Check out my YouTube channel where I play Minecraft, Clash Royale and unbox Pokemon merchandise. [url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOVpJAKaiT0NoHKM4kz6xA[url]

"I am the Chompy Mage and you are not a Chompy, so I do not like you"
Omenix
Skylands Master

Postby Orion's Islands » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:21 am

Orion's Islands
Orion's Islands
Skylands Master

Return to News