[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
SkylanderClub.com • View topic - Splatoon Amiibos...? Ok, Ok...I'll buy an Amiibo!

Splatoon Amiibos...? Ok, Ok...I'll buy an Amiibo!

A hub for all your Nintendo Gaming Discussion! 3DS, Wii, WiiU, and Classics.

Re: Splatoon Amiibos...? Ok, Ok...I'll buy an Amiibo!

Postby 1ofWiisdom » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:51 am

What exactly do the Amiibo do in Splatoon...unlock weapon upgrades? They do look cool, but I figured they would be marked with a 95% unobtanium content, lol.

If I could actually upload Nintendo videos without them freaking out and screwing up all my other uploads, I'd have likely given the game a chance..I won't lie though, their ad campaign for this game? If 5% of that went towards actually stocking Amiibo no one would complain, lol. MK8 came out the same release window last year and I never saw ads for the game during the NBA Playoffs...There I am in the Western Conference Finals and that horrid bubble gum pop song cues up signaling yet another Splatoon commercial, lol. I didn't realize the target audience was middle aged men, haha.

I could care less about monetizing the game content, but even for folks like me who don't seek to profit off their IPs they flag everything and then I have a nightmare of a time with simple unboxings or channel updates due to all their fits. As is, I am passing on the game for the presumable future.

Congrats on being a 1%er with Jigglypuff, lol. That is cool you helped the chick out, I'm sure she will remember that and get you taken care of with future Skylander/Amiibo deals.
1ofWiisdom: Portal Master, Minecrafter, Nintendo Junkie
YouTube:
Twitch:
Twitter:
Minelogix SMP:
1ofWiisdom
SkylanderClub Level 1

Postby Orion's Islands » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:33 am

Orion's Islands
Orion's Islands
Skylands Master

Postby Orion's Islands » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:20 pm

Orion's Islands
Orion's Islands
Skylands Master

Postby 1ofWiisdom » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:15 am

Oh nice...the Amiibo function is actually pretty cool in the game! I like the middle guy in Pack 2 as well!

Yeah, basically what it amounts to is that Nintendo wants a cut of everyone's video revenue. YouTube will allow you to monetize your own, original content. Some games, and the popular trend with many developers and stuidos, is to allow people to monetize their gameplay with a simple attribution on screen, or in the credits. They realize that if they do not allow it, they miss out on X, Y, and Z playing their game and getting X, Y, and Z's audience interested in it...Naturally, their instinct is to make the most sales of their software. If a guy or girl playing the game on YouTube makes people want to buy the game, it is a good thing for them. No ad campaign, or in store box cutout can convey the same enjoyment as someone actually playing the game.

Prior to the last year or so, not many stuidios offered this. If you uploaded gameplay YouTube would either place ads on it (all proceeds going to the appropriate party), or they would flag the video with a copyright stirke (which still happens a ton, mainly for IN GAME MUSIC, which is super annoying). So, if you are playing Madden, Call of Duty, and Grand Theft Auto you aren't likely to get direct permission to upload footage, so you have to join a network to monetize the videos. This basically allows you to make money for uploading your content. Nintendo fell into this category and then threw a major fit...they disabled it and wanted all the cash...this made a really big impact on many channels who are honestly just playing what is popular to get more views and maximize their revenue. It was so big a fault on the Big N's part that Microsoft soon after announced all their 1st Party games could be monetized with attribution, where applicable, and admitted some copyright/music issues might pop up...

Nintendo retracted and came back with the Content Creator's Program. It is what I think they honestly believe is a great goodwill gesture, but most perceive it as an iron fist. You have to join their stand alone deal, set things up with them, and then submit each video one-by-one to be approved. Literally approved by them. This is where many who had yet to find fault, get going. Think Splatoon sucks and you say it in your video? Maybe they can it. Is it likely, no...but is it possible, yes. You are also to keep the video "unlisted" which in YouTube terms is a bad deal...this means the video is live to those with the link...And why is that a negative? Say Nintendo takes 3 days to approve your video...it now gets to go public and is treated as a 3 day old video. You don't have that with the Private-Public transition, or the Scheduled Uploads.

And, if you think it sucks to submit videos one at a time, your only streamlined option is to have a channel with ONLY Nintendo content, which is nuts.

My biggest issue isn't what most people rant about: pay splits, content control, the backwards nature of it all etc., it is a totally different argument. I upload all my gameplay without monetization. I am playing for fun and because I want to share it with others. I am perfectly fine wheeling thru Nintendo's catalog of games, promoting them all without any money coming my way. However, even though I am not wanting money from them, they still want it off my video, so when they have it flagged and YouTube put adds on it, they don't do the 60/40 split with me, they take all 100%. Again, I could still care less. However, what I can not stand and why I have not been able to upload any more MK8 or Brawl, or been inclined to pick up Splatoon is that when they start flagging my non-monetized videos the rest of my new uploads get flagged and I have to go out of my way with counterclaims that I own the rights to my unboxing, or a green screen where I talk to member's here about flowers and tea. No thanks guys...not worth my time.

This really, really sucks because most of the playthroughs I want to do are of older Nintendo games. I don't want, nor care about the money, but they want their 100% cut off my efforts and in turn screw up my other uploads. No one really looks at it from this angle. When you take my case into consideration it makes them look like greedy fools. I mean I want to playthu my favorite game of all time from 1991...24 years ago...over 2 decades ago...last millenium...and they want money from it. I can guarantee you the nostalgia and genuine joy I would convey thru the video would get people from out of my generation interested in Super Mario World and ready to throw money at the Virtual Console. Yet I can't share this game with people because their inherit greed ruins the rest of my channel.

I can join their creator's program, and I think it is a nice nod on their part, BUT that puts your personal info out there to be leaked/hacked/lost etc and more importantly, I'm fine not making money on the flipping vids to begin with! I haven't made a dime off of any Nintendo stuff I've uploaded and I kept doing it...I don't make a penny off of uploading Skylanders gameplay and I do it because I genuinely like the game. For freak's sake I playedthru Mystery Case Files! I just want to play games I like, or am interested in, and share it online with others. No other studio's come out with this much force, with this many PR blunders, and wind up screwing themselves over...Is the extra $$ they get really worth the damage to their reputation? Maybe if they weren't so busy trying to make money off of everyone's gameplay videos from 2007 they could get a few more Amiibo cranked out.

I still consider myself a big Nintendo fan, but I can no longer do so without admitting they have some really serious flaws here lately and whoever runs their PR department needs to grow a backbone and relay to the brass in Japan that things have changed and it might be advantageous to adapt...Then again, look how good all the wagon wheel guys did when the automotive industry came around...
1ofWiisdom: Portal Master, Minecrafter, Nintendo Junkie
YouTube:
Twitch:
Twitter:
Minelogix SMP:
1ofWiisdom
SkylanderClub Level 1

Postby Orion's Islands » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:21 pm

I have no problem with efforts that generate profit. I was in manufacturing for years and you can't survive without reasonable profit. So all YouTubers are putting in time to conceptualize, produce, edit and then upload to publish content. That is YOUR time!! To be frank, I would hope that you would be making some profit from your YouTube efforts. It could help defray the cost of running things and feed enthusiasm. Let's face it: It's quite a boost to get some tangible benefit from pursuing something out of joy and fun. Basically it sounds like every bit of career advice I have gotten: try to enjoy what you do so its not so much like work!!
I have done quite a bit of theater and have expended considerable time and money to do it. I have on rare occasions been paid for my work and That was great. The money is/was totally not the reason I do it, but it was appreciated. Don't tell anyone I would pay them to do it...lol.
As to Nintendo...more later.
Last edited by Orion's Islands on Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion's Islands
Orion's Islands
Skylands Master

Postby Omenix » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:43 pm

Well the way i see it, Activision sends you skylanders to unbox and allows you to go to E3 (by the way, are you going this year?) So that's all the benefits you need. You enjoy it, you don't need profit, and Nintendo needs to realize this.
Check out my YouTube channel where I play Minecraft, Clash Royale and unbox Pokemon merchandise. [url]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOVpJAKaiT0NoHKM4kz6xA[url]

"I am the Chompy Mage and you are not a Chompy, so I do not like you"
Omenix
Skylands Master

Postby Orion's Islands » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:46 am

Orion's Islands
Orion's Islands
Skylands Master

Postby Daphtaru » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:28 pm

Basically a majority of the Amiibo stuff for Splatoon is for online only. The only thing for offline is the Mini Games. I did everything........ the hardest thing to unlock was the Boy Amiibo's Hero Roller.
Daphtaru
Portal Master

Postby Orion's Islands » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:45 pm

Orion's Islands
Orion's Islands
Skylands Master

Postby Daphtaru » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:15 pm

Daphtaru
Portal Master

PreviousNext

Return to Nintendo