[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
SkylanderClub.com • View topic - Custom Build

Custom Build

Welcome to the Master Race: Once You Go PC, You Never Go Back!

Custom Build

Postby 1ofWiisdom » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:00 am

So...

Any PC Gurus in here? I am hoping to start compiling parts for my first ever build pretty soon. The mobo I want is hardly ever in stock, so that is a hold up...I am also torn on water cooling. Part of me wants it for the "cool" factor (ba-da-ba!), and the other part of me still says, "Whoa, whoa, whoa...we don't mix water and electronics!"

I might overclock and it would be beneficial in that case, but I'm not a fan of the closed system's aesthetics. If I do it, I'll do it right...I've got some pretty sweet plans for the reservoir and backlighting etc.

Does anyone have any experience with building computers? What about watercooling? Any horror stories there? There are definitely some cool things you can do vs a boxed build.
1ofWiisdom: Portal Master, Minecrafter, Nintendo Junkie
YouTube:
Twitch:
Twitter:
Minelogix SMP:
1ofWiisdom
SkylanderClub Level 1

Re: Custom Build

Postby 1ofWiisdom » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:06 am

So...

A lot has changed since this original post. I have now completed the build, I'm up and running 60 FPS with no issues, and I am recording/editing from the new PC...which was built by hand, with no prior experience :ugeek:

Overall this was a very enjoyable experience...I learned a little bit...would have no qualms doing it again...and have a great sense of satisfaction each time I power the new computer up...in part because I built it, but more so because it is FAST and QUIET. Every store bought PC I've bought is audible at idle...loud under load...and more annoyingly takes what seems like an eternity to boot up. With the custom build I am up and running in the time it takes me to push power and look at the screen...insane!

I have lot of videos, but I'll just get it started with this one:

1ofWiisdom: Portal Master, Minecrafter, Nintendo Junkie
YouTube:
Twitch:
Twitter:
Minelogix SMP:
1ofWiisdom
SkylanderClub Level 1

Return to PC